Excursion Program Overview
Discover the intertidal rockpools, sandy beaches and coastal vegetation of a marine sanctuary, discovering common sea creatures, explore their array of adaptations for intertidal survival and human impacts upon the marine ecosystem.
Victorian Curriculum Links:
Science: Science Understanding
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to inform personal and community decisions and to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives (VCSSU073)
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (VCSSU074)
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (VCSSU075)
© 2017 Copyright Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, State Government of Victoria.
Two Hour Program includes:
- Safety Talk – how to stay safe at the beach
- Coastal Vegetation – consider the adaptations that plants need to survive on the coast and find out how Indigenous Australians used plants to survive
- Marine Education Centre – learn about the role the Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary plays in conservation, exploring the Marine Education Centre
- Rock Platform Discovery – discover some of the sea creatures and plants that have adapted to survive in the harsh intertidal zone
- Change Over Time – reflect on change in land use of Ricketts Point spanning Indigenous use to current Marine Sanctuary regulations
- Pollution and the Marine Environment – create connections and consider how their actions at home can affect the marine environment
- Beachcombing – investigate natural and man-made artefacts washed ashore by the tide
Four Hour Program includes:
- Same activities but double the time, allowing for more student-directed learning and exploration of the marine environment!
- Naturally, a broader range of topics can be discussed and more hands-on, student-centred activities can be undertaken with the additional time.
Restrictions: Program is dependent on tides therefore available dates are limited.
|Program Location||Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary|
|Max # of Groups (group max 30)||4|
|Possible Start Times||10.15am, 12:30pm|
|Grade Level||Grade 5, Grade 6, Year 7|
|Program Duration||2 hours, 4 hours|
|Program Theme||Biodiversity, Human Impacts, Living things, Marine|
|Cost per group||2hr program - $405+GST, 4hr program $570+GST|