Excursion Program Overview
Explore the intertidal rockpools and sandy beaches of the Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary. Discover the similarities and differences between organisms, and uncover human impacts on this fragile ecosystem.
Victorian Curriculum Links:
- Science: Science Understanding
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (VCSSU090)
- There are differences within and between groups of organisms; classification helps organise this diversity (VCSSU091)
- Interactions between organisms can by described in terms of food chains and food webs and can be affected by human activity (VCSSU093)
© 2017 Copyright Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, State Government of Victoria.
Two hour Program includes
- Safety Talk – A brief overview of how to stay safe at the beach
- Marine Education Centre – Students learn about the importance of the Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary in the Marine Education Centre
- Sea Treasures – Students look at, touch and learn about some fascinating beach washed treasures such as cuttlefish, sea stars & shark eggs.
- Rock Platform Discovery – Students will use Sea Searchâ€™s Species Image Library method of surveying organisms on the rock platform and draw food webs and food chains of the organisms they discover.
- Litter in the Marine Environment – Focus on how litter affects the marine environment.
Restrictions:Â Tide dependent; please provide alternate dates that spread across at least 2 weeks
Prior knowledge required: How to draw food webs, food chains, how to use classification keys
Equipment needed: clipboard and pencil per student, printed worksheets and Sea Search Data Sheets
Equipment supplied by Gould League: classification key, Species Image Library sheets from Sea Search.
Curriculum Connections: Science Understanding: Biological Sciences (ACSSU111 & ACSSU112); Science as a Human Endeavour: Use & Influence of Science (ACSHE)
|Program Location||Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary|
|Max # of Groups (group max 30)||4|
|Possible Start Times||10.15am, 12.30pm|
|Grade Level||Year 7, Year 8|
|Program Duration||2 hours|
|Program Theme||Biodiversity, Human Impacts, Living things, Marine|
|Cost per group||2 hr program $405|